The 2015-18 Teaching Assistant Union (TAU) Contract calls for greater transparency about graduate teaching assistant (TA) appointments. Specifically, hiring units are responsible for:
- Making information available on websites about teaching assistantships, including the application and selection process, desired and required qualifications, and application due dates.
- Listing on websites all courses that typically have TAs, and updating lists regularly to include other teaching opportunities that become available (such as summer teaching).
- Providing to all TAs a copy of its policies, and communicate any new policies or changes in policies.
- Making available to TAs information relevant to the courses that TAs are teaching (including syllabi, textbook information, exams, and course policies.
- Annual evaluation of TAs (encouraged but not required).
As of 2014-15, the Department of Geosciences lacked a formal policy governing the hiring and evaluation of TAs. As departmental Graduate Advisor, I chose to develop and implement a Departmental TA Policy as my Academic Leadership Academy project.
WMU ScholarWorks Citation
Petcovic, Heather, "Creating and Implementing a Departmental Teaching Assistant Policy" (2015). Academic Leadership Academy. 46.