Rationale: This Academic Leadership Academy Project had the following goals:
- To explore leadership perspectives on “research”
- To help raise awareness of Carnegie Classification metrics regarding “research activity”
- To identify key investments academic leadership deemed essential to advance WMU’s standing as a research institution.
- To raise awareness of regulatory definitions of sponsored activity
- To explore initiatives that deans, directors and chairs would be willing to lead, on behalf of their units, in order to advance WMU’s standing as a research institution.
Method: 10 face-to-face conversations of about 60-90 minutes in duration. Participants: All 10 participants were current or former deans, directors or department chairs.
WMU ScholarWorks Citation
Purnell, Kathy, "Embracing “Other” Forms of Sponsored Activity: Leadership Perspectives on Building Research Capacity at WMU" (2016). Academic Leadership Academy. 62.