Introduction to Leadership : Concepts and Practice
Offering a straightforward introduction to the basic principles of leadership, the Second Edition of Introduction to Leadership focuses on providing readers with practical strategies for becoming better leaders. An applied text by the author of the SAGE best-seller Leadership: Theory and Practice, Fifth Edition, this text provides the much needed how-to component of leading for students in leadership courses.
Three interactive components in every chapter: self-assessment questionnaires, observational exercises, and reflection and action worksheets get readers actively involved in applying leadership concepts to their own lives. Grounded in leadership theory, yet accessible and reader-friendly, this book covers a fundamental aspect of leadership in each chapter and illustrates its application in real leadership situations. A final chapter discusses the key topic of ethics in leadership.
Key features of the Second Edition
- Looks at one quality of leadership per chapter, making it easier for readers to understand and apply material to their own lives
- Uses examples and case studies to illustrate each fundamental aspect of leadership (creating a vision, listening to out-group members, and overcoming obstacles, for example)
- Encourages readers to complete a Self-Assessment Questionnaire before reading each chapter to explore their own leadership styles and preferences
- Guides readers in examining behaviours of leaders from their own lives through each chapter and Observational Exercise
- Includes Reflection and Action Worksheets that encourage readers to reflect upon their own leadership styles and identify an action plan for improving their leadership skills.
Northouse, Peter Guy, "Introduction to Leadership : Concepts and Practice" (2012). All Books and Monographs by WMU Authors. 16.