Date of Defense


Date of Graduation




First Advisor

Marcel Zondag

Second Advisor

Russell Zwanka


As more restaurants start to adopt ghost kitchens to fulfill online orders, those restaurants need to know which customers would be satisfied with the fact that a ghost kitchen is preparing their food, and if not, what can restaurants do to appeal to those customers. Will the use of ghost kitchens have a negative effect on the consumers trust and satisfaction level or will it have positive or neutral effect? To answer this question, we conducted a survey using 100 random respondents each from New York City, Chicago, and San Francisco. We collected the demographics of the respondents and then screened them to only test the respondents who have used food delivery in the past. Of the 300 we ended up testing 219. We put the 219 through a scenario that resembles the perfect delivery scenario, but later revealed that a ghost kitchen was used. We then asked if they would order from a restaurant that uses. ghost kitchens again in the future. We found 65% had a positive or neutral reaction to ghost kitchens and that 65% would also from a restaurant that uses ghost kitchens in the future. This means that restaurants will be able to appeal to most of their customers as long as the ghost kitchens prepares food of the same or greater quality. To appeal to the other 35%, restaurants need to be informative of what ghost kitchens are and to leave nothing to the imagination of how a ghost kitchen works.

Access Setting

Honors Thesis-Open Access

Benjamin Famiano_Honors Thesis Presentation.pdf (1511 kB)
Defense Presentation

Included in

Marketing Commons