German soldiers and prisoners stand on a street in the prison compound in Stralkowo. Wooden barracks line the street and tall utility poles stand in the middle of the thoroughfare. These barracks served as the quarters for the 2nd Reserves of the Landsturm, German troops that were assigned to provide security for the camp. Note the flower gardens which are carefully tended in front of each barrack. These gardens provided prisoners with some pastime to decorate the outside of their accommodations.
Germany, Stralkowo, Camp Order, Gardening, Quarters, German Guards, World War 1914-1918