Fort St. Joseph, first established as a mission in the 1680s by French Jesuits, was one of the earliest European settlements in the North American mid-continent and more specifically the western Great Lakes region. During the first half of the eighteenth century it also took on the roles of garrison and trading post.
WMU archaeologists are working to unlock the secrets of this long lost, but not forgotten, frontier outpost of New France. Our efforts are conducted in partnership with the City of Niles, the Fort St. Joseph Museum, Support the Fort, Inc., and other community groups.
Submissions from 1961
Fort St. Joseph Under French Control: 1693-1760, Eringaard (Masters Thesis-Open Access)
Submissions from 1907
Old Fort St. Joseph or Michigan Under Four Flags, Daniel McCoy (Book)